Frequently Asked Questions


A Lloyd's Register Type Approval mark on a product provides users with an assurance that the manufacturer's claims have been verified. Lloyd's Register Type Approval is an impartial certification service, which is available for a wide range of products used in marine and offshore applications, industrial plants and processes, and the IT sector.

A Lloyd's Register Type Approval mark:

  • provides unbiased, third-party verification of the product's conformity with the manufacturer's specifications, and national and international standards;
  • assists in ensuring that an appropriate level of product safety is achieved, inspiring confidence among users; and
  • enables manufacturers to use the mark - a special symbol of approval - on packaging, in promotional material or on the product itself.

For more information, see:

Not all products must bear markings about compliance with Australian Standards.

Typically, in the marine industry, Australian Standards exist and must be followed for the manufacture of products that are used in life saving situations, such as flares and personal flotation devices (lifejackets). They also exist for items that have the potential to become dangerous such as portable fuel containers and fuel tanks.

A check of local laws and regulations will provide information about the products that must have certification that a it complies with an Australian Standard.

Typically, viton o rings are a longer lasting, heavy duty o ring that is resistant to a wide range of chemicals, petroleum products and solvents. Standard black rubber o rings tend to not last as long and even begin to break down when in contact with petroleum products and some chemicals.

All MW fuel fittings and MW's fuel filter clear bowl are fitted with viton o rings. This gives the user with the best possible seal in the harsh marine environment.

Viton o rings are even safe to use with E10 ethanol fuels.


The laws and regulations about the specific safety gear required is different for each State and Territory. What is required depends upon how big the boat is and where it is being used. Common safety gear items include but are not limited to:

  • personal floation devices (lifejackets);
  • flares;
  • EPIRB's;
  • paddles;
  • anchors
  • lighting & signalling equipment; and
  • radios & communication equipment.

Here are some useful links for you to check what the local laws and regulations prescribe about what safety equipment you need for your kind of boat and for the location(s) that you are going



The required size for registration letters and numbers varies from State to State (except in the Northern Territory where recreational boats are exempt from registration). Typically 8" and 6" high numbers and letters are used on powerboats. Check your local laws and regulations for requirements.


PFD Type 1 - AS1512, AS4758, SOLAS and Coastal jackets are also accepted.
PFD Type 2 - AS1499.
PFD Type 3 - AS2260.

All lifejackets must be kept in a good condition and be accessible at all times. Check your lifejackets to ensure that they carry these compliance markings.


Electrolysis is a reaction caused by two dissimilar metals being in contact with each other. In the marine industry, this occurs commonly where stainless steel fittings are used on aluminium boats. Over time a reaction takes place, causing the aluminium to corrode.

This can be prevented by isolating the products from one and other with the use of a jointing compound (such as Duralac).


Trailer rollers are sold in a variety of shapes, sizes, colours and materials. Each material has its own specific use.

  • polyethylene rollers usually coloured blue, are hard and suitable for use with aluminium boats;
  • polyurethane rollers, usually coloured red, are a softer compound and suitable for use with the more fragile fibreglass hulls; and
  • rubber, usually coloured black, is multi-purpose option. It can be used on both aluminium and fibreglass hulls. However, it is usual for rubber to wear more quickly than both polyurethane and polyethylene rollers.


Whether to install brakes on the wheels of a trailer depends on how heavy the trailer and boat are when fully loaded.

This information should be supplied on the manufacturer's plate attached to the trailer.

Braking requirements vary with axle amount and weight. The following is a guide:

  • single axle trailers with a 0.75T GTM - no brakes required;
  • single and dual axle trailers between 0.75T and 2T GTM should have an efficient braking system installed on at least on of the axles;
  • dual and triple axle trailers between 2T and 3.5T GTM require brakes on all wheels and must be able to be operated from the driver's seat. They also require a breakaway system to be installed, which will apply the brakes for at least 15 minutes if the trailer is detached from the tow vehicle.


The International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (or commonly referred to as the '72 COLREG's) are a set of rules designed to govern the movement of all vessels.

These rules incorporate navigational aids and markers and the approval status of navigational lights.


Tinned copper wire has the ability to resist corrosion better than plain copper wire.

This enables the electrical circuits in an around your boat or watercraft to be more reliable and last for a longer period of time than circuitry with plain copper wiring.


LED's have significant advantages over the older style of incandescent bulb available.

Most LED's have a working life of up to 100,000 hours. Also, due to their comparatively low current draw, there are real savings in the cost of power consumption when operating LED's compared with traditional incandescent bulbs.